- Business & Commercial 25%
- Small Business Law 25%
- Copyright, Trademark and Licensing 25%
- Employer-Employee Relations 10%
- Business Sale and Purchase and Business Litigation 15%
Jay Calhoun practices business law for small and medium-sized Phoenix Area companies, helping people build and maintain their companies. Her clients receive practical legal services that enable them to do what they excel at, while leaving the legal details to Jay
Jay Calhoun is the sound choice for businesses seeking:
- Legal counsel in matters involving Business Law, Contract Law, Intellectual Property Law, Internet Law, or Civil Litigation Law.
- An attorney who tailors legal solutions to her clients’ specific needs based on the matter’s relevant legal issues and most compelling facts. If you want ill-fitting, fill in the blank contracts, agreements, and solutions which leave you vulnerable against attacks from anyone who wants to start a legal dispute, Jay is not for you. If you want legal solutions enabling you to gain or regain control of your business operations, Jay is for you.
At a time when many legal professionals specialize, Jay Calhoun takes a holistic approach focused on the big picture – she is both a dealmaker and litigator. She can, with equal facility, hammer out a complex transaction to its final signature, or try a case to its final verdict to protect such complex transactions.
After graduating from Arizona State Law School, Jay worked in large corporate law firms and realized that the traditional law firm structure wasn’t right for her. Jay wanted to focus on solving client issues rather than gathering clients and handing the work to newer attorneys. Since starting her own firm in 2008, Jay has focused on turning out “big” firm work product, without all the trappings and associated costs.
Jay’s practice has evolved into a mix of clients involved in construction, fashion, restaurants, media, manufacturing, software, hospitality, and a variety of other diverse businesses. They admire her directness, her experience in a wide range of circumstances, and her practical, business-oriented approach.
Whether a client seeks to prevent trouble before it occurs or to remediate an existing dispute, Jay will formulate a customized solution. Jay spends a great deal of time and effort getting to know clients and their priorities. She anticipates obstacles and finds ways to resolve challenges that may otherwise interrupt business operations or endangers profits. The goal for each client is to leave that individual or business better situated for future effectiveness than when the client contacted the Calhoun Law firm. For Arizona business law matters, Jay is a valuable resource.
WHAT MAKES JAY DIFFERENT
When negotiating or drafting a transaction, Jay never loses sight of the overall broad strategy nor gets lost in the process. Rather, Jay remains committed to the long-term end goal while ensuring that interim tasks are promptly and professionally accomplished. While remaining keenly aware of the details of a legal matter, Jay keeps the team (client and attorney) on track, keeping her clients focused on the big picture, helping them understand what they need to do, rather than letting anyone get bogged down in minutiae that could kill a deal. The legal details can safely be left to Jay.
If any deal should go awry, Jay works with clients to resolve the dispute. Every attorney can learn litigation skills to a point; a truly great litigator has instinctive qualities that are not acquired through education. The capacity to scrutinize and bargain with people is crucial. Jay gets clients to question their own motives before bringing a lawsuit, and if she perceives that the probable result isn’t in their best interests, she will not hesitate to advise against it. Clients who decide to proceed with litigation do so knowing they have a strong advocate on their side, one who instinctively spots and leverages shortcomings in the other side position to successfully resolve disputes.
As general counsel to many of her clients, Jay serves, not just as lawyer, but as a strategic legal advisor. Clients rely on Jay’s keen commercial sense for the kind of objective advice they might not otherwise receive. Jay fully understands that nearly every commercial transaction or dispute comes down to money, and she keeps that thought in the forefront of her mind when executing transactions and resolving disputes. Jay regularly counsels business owners on a wide variety of business matters, helping them see their businesses “from a strategic vantage point.” Such a relationship requires an unusual level of trust from business owners, but clients quickly realize that Jay earns that trust.
Thank you for considering Jay Calhoun. If Jay’s proven capabilities match your legal needs there are four methods for us move forward.
- If you want additional information about our services you can view the Practice Area material provided on our www.law4sb.com website.
- If you want additional information about our interactions with clients within specific industries you can view the Industries material provided on our www.law4sb.com website.
- If you want to get a sense of our expertise and how we work with new clients, feel free to contact us via the Contact Us Form on our www.law4sb.com website or by calling our offices at (480) 967-1800 and leaving a message. Please do not include confidential information in your messages.
- If you have substantive questions about a specific issue, please schedule a consultation with us via the Book Online scheduler provided on our www.law4sb.com website.
- Arizona State University, College of Law, Tempe, Arizona
- University of Cincinnati - College of Design, Architecture, Art and Planning, Cincinnati, Ohio
- M.A. - 1998
- Major: Art History
- Arizona, 2004
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2006
- 2008 Top 50 Pro Bono Attorneys in Arizona
- 2006 Top 50 Pro Bono Attorneys in Arizona
Pro Bono Activities
- Arizona Legal Foundation, 2003 to 2006
- Wills For Heroes, 2005 to 2006